Go Workout, Mom! (And Don’t Feel Bad About It)

Fun Halloween themed Zumba night

There are a lot of things that there is mommy guilt over, but working out should not be one of those things. I’ve had people question me about my gym schedule and how I get away for that much time and I just laugh and say I carve and guard that time out vigilantly and it’s been good for me and my family. These are the reasons why.

First of all they don’t see their dad until he gets home from work. The nights that I am at the gym gives them time with him. It lets them know that their needs can be met by more than just mommy. My kids are used to it, but kids will come up with a lot of things that they want mommy to do and a lot of reasons why you should stay with them. The reasons are often valid and sweet, but at the end of the day, someone else can do those things as just well. I think it’s good for dads to share responsibility for the children and our routine is that when I’m gone, dad does bedtime. It’s a good thing. It’s a great example for my boy and my girl that marriage is teamwork. That includes kid duties, house duties, work, etc..

My biggest reason is that a healthy mom is a happier mom. I had some pretty big bouts of depression in the past. At one point my son was playing “mommy“ and he laid on the couch and wrapped his head in a blanket and that just floored me. Kids pick up on these things. I have a lot more patience and a lot less down days when I get those exercise endorphins. And physically being able to keep up with them and have more energy for family time is no doubt a benefit.

I also want to set a good example for the kids. A lifestyle that includes physical fitness is something that I hope they will follow in their lives. The mental health benefits as well as the physical health benefits of routine exercise are undeniable. My kids have not hit puberty yet, but I have struggled with weight issues since I did and working out has helped so much to keep that in check. Since both of them are so young, I’m not sure what their metabolism and genes will do, but I like to think that the expectation that exercise is part of life will help them with whatever that ends up being.

One of the biggest benefits that I’ve seen, especially when I was doing the stay at home mom thing, was that it gave me an outlet for meeting other adults. I craved adult conversation and just meeting people that also made working out a priority. I’ve made so many friends and people I never would have met otherwise. Many of these people have become good friends and so many fun social opportunities have opened up. Some people prefer to run or do more solo activities, but even if you are not doing group classes like I do, you can still find a supportive community amongst others who do the same.

There are lots of other reasons, but I’m going to end it by with saying that carving out time for myself has allowed me to maintain my personhood. I like being a wife and mom, but I am still a whole person apart from that. That’s another example I want to give the kids. I can still be a partner and parent without completely sacrificing the things that I enjoy. Too many moms make themselves martyrs and think that they’re giving their family a magical experience by doing so when in fact it just leads to a stressed out, thankless serfdom. And what is left when the kids do grow up and move away? Claiming time now and having them acknowledge that mom is also a human being teaches them how to treat people and themselves when they are grown. 


I’d love to hear thoughts from you on this topic as well!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I check your blog like every week. Your writing style is witty, keep doing what you're doing!

Anonymous said...

Thanks on your marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you will be
a great author.I will make sure to bookmark your blog and will often come back later in life.
I want to encourage one to continue your great writing, have a nice afternoon!

Anonymous said...

bookmarked!!, I really like your website!

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and
wished to mention that I have really enjoyed
surfing around your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing on your rss feed and I
hope you write once more very soon!

Anonymous said...

Does your blog have a contact page? I'm having a tough time locating it but,
I'd like to send you an email. I've got some suggestions for your blog
you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great blog and I look forward to seeing
it grow over time.

Anonymous said...

Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on sites I stumbleupon everyday.
It's always exciting to read through articles from other authors and use something
from other websites.

Anonymous said...

Hi, just wanted to tell you, I loved this article.

It was inspiring. Keep on posting!

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Swidget 1.0

Followers