Arrogance is the trademark of the Wicked

AH... I seem to have broken through the jet lag! I actually feel somewhat normal today.   I'm doing normal things anyway: gym, paying bills, cleaning poop out of the carpet, giving Drago a flea bath, etc. Normal is kind of gross at this point in life. Anyway... I'm still trying to decide the direction I want my devotions to go. I did read Psalm 31 today. Two verses stood out to me 17 & 18:  Let me not be put to shame, LORD, for I have cried out to you; but let the wicked be put to shame and be silent in the realm of the dead. Let their lying lips be silenced, for with pride and contempt they speak arrogantly against the righteous.

 I had the privilege of being in several different type of church services when I was in Asia. Some of the things done were cultural and some are things that I've seen in churches in the US. Some of those things were things that I've rolled my eyes at or thought were "cheesy". Seeing it done by these groups gave me a whole different take on it though. It might not be my preference, but the heart and truth behind it is praising God so why should I even care if it's not the coolest method? This is a real problem in the American church. We are so quick to make fun of people who worship in a different way than us. Clearly God finds that arrogance to be a characteristic of the wicked.


It's kind of apropos that I made that connection this morning. Our church has hired a new music minister. I've met him and his wife once before and like their personalities a lot, but I've never heard how he leads music. Tonight the praise band is officially meeting him and tomorrow night is our first practice. I think I needed to remember that my words toward our ministry (and new minister) have to be the opposite of arrogance, pride and contempt.

posted under |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Swidget 1.0

Followers