Big Fan

Monday, August 27th~

I have a small collection of vintage Chinese wall fans. This is the oldest of my collection, and probably my favorite. It's rather old and full of age spots, but I do love peaches and this just refreshes me when I look at it. I don't buy into all the legends or feel this is anything more than art, but it's interesting to know what inspired the painting.

This sits about the couch in my living room.

The peach is a Chinese symbol for longevity. 
Known as Sau, this Chinese diety is a symbol of the easy life, smooth living, and victory over strife. The gourd is at the end of his staff is said to hold the elixir of  immortality. 
When a crane is shown among clouds it stands for longevity, wisdom and nobility.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Swidget 1.0

Followers