Oh, No, You Didn't!

About twice a day I'll get an email from someone tattling about some anti-Christian comment on a TV show or movie or song. The call is always the same, boycott them into submission! There's always a diatribe filled with outrage and horror that someone dare say something blasphemous or just not nice about the followers of Christ. Maybe I'm jaded, but I don't find these things shocking or something that requires me to act. I guess I have the following verses in my head when I read those things.


“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you." (Matthew 5:10-12)

"For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Corinthians 12:10)

"Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in that name." (I Peter 4:12-14,16)

Overreacting hurts the cause of Christ and I think it denies us the blessing of turning the other cheek. There may be times when we are prompted by the Holy Spirit to say something, but I think we need to really examine what we're feeling and not act out of defensiveness or anger.

posted under |

1 comment:

Mom said...

I think you are right on here. Mom

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Swidget 1.0

Followers