Presenting Yourself

Nice to meet you! 
I’m looking forward to working together.

 Just a quick post, I am leaving in about five minutes for a business meeting. I have an opportunity to vend at a new store and today I am meeting with someone there. It has me thinking about how I want to present myself and I thought I would share some insights. (I have experience in human resource and recruiting. I earned a business degree with a minor in communications. I’ve been a shop manager and event coordinator as well as a vendor.)

 Within the vintage reseller industry there is a different sort of dress code and way to present oneself. I’ve seen all sorts of things. (This probably has to do with the fact that many of us also sell online where our appearance makes no difference.) The vintage gig can be a very dirty job, especially when picking in unkept places. There’s no dress code. Often a scrunchie, old denim, and steel toed boots are best! Also, setting up a space at a show or shop requires climbing, unloading, and sometimes even power tools so comfort is really key. But that’s where the schlubby looks should stay: set up and sourcing.

 When I work as a cashier at shops where I sell or at shows, I still dress comfortably because it is a long active day. It’s important to represent your business and the businesses you partner with well. Choosing clothing that is clean, comfortable and properly fits is the goal. This seems like common sense, but again I have seen a lot of people either just not care or think that an untidy appearance translates into being a carefree, unfussy person. (It doesn’t, it just looks like you don’t care about your business or your customers.) I like to wear weather appropriate casual dresses with low heeled footwear. Jeans or pants with a nicer top work just as well. (In general I try to stay away from knits as they tend to snag on rough edges.) If you can, it’s a good idea to scope out your location ahead of time and match the general vibe. Ripped jeans and a vintage rock tank are perfect for a night market at a bar, but would not be a good idea for a holiday craft sale at the country club. 

If you have a meeting, like I have today, it’s a fun opportunity to represent your space and your style. I plan on selling vintage merchandise from the 1950s through the 1980s so I’m  wearing a vintage patterned blouse with some slightly flared jeans. It would also be fine to wear something that doesn’t directly relate to what I’m selling, but it should still be neat and wrinkle free. I think it’s a good idea to wear attire similar to what you would if you were working in the shop or interacting with customers. This gives confidence to prospective partners about what they can expect from you.

Hygiene is important. Again I shouldn’t have to say it, but shower or bath shortly before a business meeting. If you’re working a show and know you’re going to get sweaty and/or dirty setting up, change right before the show into something clean. If you get dirt under your nails, clean it out. You might think people don’t notice, but they definitely do.  I have curly hair so it’s never going to be perfect, but it does look like an attempt has been made. My make up is daytime appropriate. Attention to detail and proving that you can get yourself together and be on time is a good indicator of what working with you will be like. The idea is to seem competent and professional. That is the type of person that owners and organizers want to partner with. Lastly, brush your teeth- few things are more off putting than scuzzy teeth and bad breath! 😉 


PS Social media just came up in this discussion. That could almost be its own post,  but here’s a few quick thoughts. Customer confidence is huge when selling online. They want to know that what they are purchasing is accurate to what they receive. They want to know that you are detail oriented when packing their item and can ship within the expected timeframe. If you present yourself online as scatterbrained, sloppy, and spastic, it doesn’t send a great message. Cute, quirky, enthusiastic, but put together-  this translates well and will work towards sales, not against them.  

posted under |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Swidget 1.0

Followers