Pinterest Cleaning Fix Tested!

March 20, 2012~

Sadly enough, this is the After picture. Like my vintage pink and turquoise? Me either!

I am an avid Pinterest-er. If you don't know what that is, it's a website that you can build your own bulletin boards and "pin" stuff you find on the web or on other member's boards. Here is mine. Anyway, I'm always intrigued by the natural cleaners that people pin. My house was built in the early 50's and has no central heat or air. It's a constant battle against mildew, especially in our bathroom. It seems as if the grout has never been replaced. It's gray and worn down and awful. It's also expensive to replace so I've tried just about every commercial cleaner and it only seems to weaken the grout even more. So I decided to try a Pinterest solution posted from this blog. It's basically 1/4 cup bleach, 3/4 cup baking soda mixed into a thick paste. You apply it, let it sit for 10 minutes, scrub it with a toothbrush and then rinse it. I used the mixture on the bathtub grout, the sink and the toilet. The sink & toilet have had hard water stains since we bought the house 9 years ago. While I waited I scrubbed the tub with just a water and baking soda mix.

The results: The sink looked great. It's not perfect, but some of the lighter stains did come off. The toilet- shiny and very clean... but the lime stains remain. The tub, scrubbed with just the baking soda, was squeaky clean, but then it was in pretty good shape beforehand. And the grout... mottled and yucky.  The areas where the grout is worn are a lighter gray, but still gray. The areas that were intact did come back to a bright white. The contrast isn't nice.

Conclusion: This works well on newer undamaged grout. It also is nice for lifting light water stains, but don't waste your time if your grout is old and porous.  Baking soda is a good cleaning agent in general and I liked how my bathroom didn't smell like a chemical factory after I cleaned.

posted under |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Swidget 1.0

Followers